Friday, January 20, 2012

Mexican Fiesta!


My family wanted mexican...how do you give mexican without the cheese dip, tortillas, and sour cream that make you feel awful for eating this way afterwards? Here is what I did:



Riley: she loves quesadillas (cheese inside tortilla) and pasta salad!

Pasta Salad: I used gluten free pasta (can also prefer whole wheat depending on your diet). We try to keep her away from wheat so we prefer this type. I add oil and vinegar, garlic (real or powder), italian seasoning and goat cheese (crumbled)...she loved it!!! I was nervous she would notice the differences. However, she asked for seconds. That was her favorite!!

Quesadillas: I used whole wheat tortilla shells (I'm looking for something with rice but it is hard to find) and wrapped goat cheese up inside. She was a big fan (and also dipped it in low sodium and no fructose ketchup)

* Children love ketchup and ranch dressing....I have played around with alternatives and come up with some new ideas...I'll post in a separate blog!



Jordan and I had taco salads: We used the same taco seasoning you use when you make tacos from a kit. However, we used deer meat (it is more lean!!!), lettuce, goat cheese, whole wheat multi-grain chips (I hear the blue chips are good as well) and homeade salsa. (jalepenos for the husband). The picture shows my plate (notice the portion size). We are still working with my husband on the portion sizes, but I used a dessert plate if that helps to know how much you should be eating (without seconds). This was a great meal and finding the little alternatives did not leave anyone in my family "not full" or unsatisfied. I would definitely do this again...

Any other mexican recipes out there for low carb, low calorie, low fat???? I love avocados!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment